ABN Announces Partnership With the Community Economic Development Clinic
*ABN member nonprofit executive directors and board chairs are invited to a special discussion with Professor Eric Franklin Amarante on September 21 from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m. Professor Amarante will share information about the Community Economic Development Clinic, the history of legal clinic, some typical legal issues, personal experiences, and more! This is a free event, and coffee will be provided. More details and registration HERE.
We are pleased to announce a new partnership between the Alliance for Better Nonprofits and the University of Tennessee College of Law. The College’s Community Economic Development Clinic provides free transactional legal services to nonprofit organizations, small businesses, entrepreneurs, and artists.
Under the close supervision of a licensed attorney, student attorneys will provide legal representation to our members on a host of transactional (i.e., non-litigation) matters, including:
- Nonprofit corporation formation;
- Formation of for-profit subsidiaries;
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts and memorandums of understanding;
- Reviewing and drafting tax-exempt applications;
- Reviewing and drafting governance documents (e.g., bylaws, policies and procedures, etc.);
- Conducting legal audits (organizational check-ups);
- Providing board governance advice; and
- Provide advice regarding copyrights and trademarks.
In addition, Clinic staff may be able to assist on non-transactional matters by referring ABN members to other resources within the College of Law.
If you would like to consult with the Clinic, please call (865) 974-2331 and ask for the Professor Eric Franklin Amarante. Be sure to tell them you’re an ABN member!
Tiffani Mensch is ABN's Director of Education & Outreach. With 15 years of experience in the nonprofit sector, Tiffani is passionate about helping organizations achieve greater mission impact. If you would like to contribute to the ABN Blog, contact Tiffani at firstname.lastname@example.org.