Community Economic Development Clinic
We are pleased to announce a new partnership between the Alliance for Better Nonprofits and the University of Tennessee College of Law. The College’s Community Economic Development Clinic provides free transactional legal services to nonprofit organizations, small businesses, entrepreneurs, and artists.
If you would like to consult with the Clinic, please call (865) 974-2331 and ask for Professor Eric Franklin Amarante. Be sure to tell them you’re an ABN member!
UT Law Teams With Alliance for Better Nonprofits
ABN Announces Partnership With the Community Economic Development Clinic
Under the close supervision of a licensed attorney, student attorneys will provide legal representation to our members on a host of transactional (i.e., non-litigation) matters, including:
- Nonprofit corporation formation
- Formation of for-profit subsidiaries
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts and memorandums of understanding
- Reviewing and drafting tax-exempt applications
- Reviewing and drafting governance documents (e.g., bylaws, policies and procedures, etc.)
- Conducting legal audits (organizational check-ups)
- Providing board governance advice
- Providing advice regarding copyrights and trademarks
In addition, Clinic staff may be able to assist on non-transactional matters by referring ABN members to other resources within the UT College of Law.